Tuesday, May 10, 2011

bert didn't need ernie to tell his story

#20 Midnight Tales from the Bar Stools @ Nighttown

Have you ever met a complete stranger who knows seemingly every celebrity and tells some of the most unbelievable, yet convincing stories? Well, my friend Mark & I did in early March at one of Cleveland's finest jazz clubs. 

He referred to himself as Bert Task.

Unfortunately, both Mark & I have been unable to find any information about him (other than what he shared with us and some other patrons a few weeks ago). If it wasn't for a few stray remarks I made about this year's Chicago Bulls squad and a playoff projection, I am not sure if we would have ever met this wise sage. I cannot and will not share with you the actual details of our 4+ hour conversation; otherwise, i would be blogging for the next four hours. However, what I will share with you is something that Bert, although probably unintentionally, taught me--namely the importance of taking the time to learn from our elders. 


This picture is the best illustration of what I remember Bert looking like. If you happen to meet him one day, please call me immediately. I need to thank him.

(this is a more recent addendum to this post, but it belongs here. last evening Mark, Michelle and I ventured over to Walter & Marlynna Major's house and were captivated by Walter's culinary concoctions but also his ability to conjure up debates like no other) 

1 comment:

Meghan said...

i like this entry :) in ghana i uwould go to market stores and bars just to ease-drop and hear the locals stories--this inspires me to do it in lovely VT too!