Saturday, January 21, 2012

a hair-splitting decision

#15 Receiving multiple hair cuts at Ohio City's "neighborhoodie" barber college


Just this afternoon, I paid $20 (including $2 tip) for a basic haircut at one of the more reliable salons in southeastern Massachusetts. Just about four years ago, I was paying $5 (including tip) for a basic haircut at one of the least reliable, yet cost-effective barber colleges in Cleveland, Ohio. While my JVC roommates would probably disagree, every time I walked out of that barber shop and onto Lorrain Avenue with a fresh, hot shave and only five bucks lighter, I felt that I had struck the best bargain in town! 


Now, for those of you who are unfamiliar with the infamous Allstate Hairstyling & Barber College, let me share with you a few things that I learned early and often during my visits to this college:


1. (Professor) Joe is in charge.


2. You pay FIRST and hold onto the napkin! 
(Wait for Joe's signal at the rear of the shop)


3. You DO NOT get to pick your barber. (Joe picks you)


4. If you visit on a Saturday, make sure you don't have any other plans.
(Joe often takes random lunch/smoke breaks)


5. Make sure you are very specific about what type of cut you would like. 
(Joe's haircut is just one possibility)


I do not believe I ever regretted getting my hairs cut at the local Barber College. Then again, I didn't really own/use a mirror all that much in Cleveland.


Basic cut, Number Two blade, Scissors on top...keep it simple and safe!

No comments: