Tuesday, February 21, 2012

the birthday that almost got away...

#10 A "Surprise" Party


I'm not sure how this one didn't make the Plain Dealer?


It was the middle of February last year, and I had been trying to get together with Veronica, Jakey & Chris L. (ref. Monday Night Dinnersfor several weeks, but--for one reason or another--our schedules were not aligning. We had finally made some tentative plans earlier in the week to meet either on Friday or Saturday, but no additional details had been discussed. As I began my typical excursion to the west side of Cleveland from JCU, I wasn't exactly sure who, if any of them, was going to show.


While on the westbound train, I received a text message from Veronica indicating that they had decided on starting their night at the Old Angle Tavern on W.25th street (which happened to be one of my first and favorite bars in Ohio City). I remained hopeful that some sort of hang out was still possible. Little did I know (in fact, nothing) about what was about to transpire. 


As I walked towards the OA on a frigid night in February, I began rocking out to my iPod. I was about one block from the bar, when I reached down to tie my shoe lace. Once I returned to my feet, I noticed a figure in the front window of the OA that looked awfully familiar, but I made nothing of it. I continued to walk towards the bar and as I grabbed the door handle, I immediately realized that that figure was no stranger. It had been my roommate, Alison, and she was joined by about twenty or so of my closest companions in Cleveland. 


This gathering was a surprise party for...me! I couldn't believe it. Two of my JVC roommates, current and former Jesuit Volunteers as well as colleagues from John Carroll and Saint Martins were all present. I couldn't believe it. Wait though, it gets better.


Apparently, Veronica had sent a Facebook invite a couple months prior inviting all these great people to come celebrate my birthday in February; however,the odds of keeping this gathering secretive as well as taking place were jeopardized, when a leak about this event surfaced on Facebook and when I nearly booked a trip to reunite with my sisters in Pittsburgh. Somehow I was convinced to stay in Cleveland that weekend. I guess the rest (including some intense rounds of bar bowling and dancing at a local karaoke bar) is history. 


It certainly was a memorable birthday (impressive enough for me to include it in my top ten), and I continue to be grateful for the many relationships that I fostered during my time in Cleveland.

2 comments:

Meghan said...

I'm still here reading :) I like this!
Meg

V said...

"12 or so" friends...haha..you can clearly see in the pic that there are more than a dozen people there! What a fun birthday :)