Monday, February 20, 2012

Murphy's HamCam

#12 The RM - RA Connections


After serving as a resident assistant (RA) for three years at Providence College, I never thought I would again interact so intimately with RAs. That is, until I applied to be a resident minister (RM) at John Carroll University four years ago. 


Whether it was through times of severe ignorance (it took me over a year to realize that my apartment in Murphy Hall came equipped with a light switch dimmer), belly-aching joy (our styrofoam sword-fighting competitions between the Hamlin & Campion staffs) or inexplicable tragedy (two student deaths), each RA--in his or her own unique way--challenged me to be a better minister, leader and neighbor. It comes as no surprise to me that some of my fondest memories arise from staff orientation, 1-on-1s and our weekly reflection time. It was then that we were most transparent, open and, to quote Fr. H.Paul Kim, “fully alive.” I hope that, like me, they had the time of their lives.


Here's to all the charming, dedicated and downright hysterical RAs of Murphy, Hamlin & Campion Halls who fostered floor community, designed engaging programs, and sat duty all those endless evenings. This one's for YOU and your sanity.

No comments: